If you are a gardening enthusiast, shopping for soil amendment in Calgary and looking up soil delivery services might sound familiar. And as you might know, maintaining a lawn sometimes involves more than mowing, fertilizing, or weeding.
Lawns are a beautiful and well-loved part of our landscape and require special care to maintain their health and beauty. If ignored long enough, your lawn can become full of ugly-looking bumps and lumps or uneven due to erosion. Read on to know more about an uneven lawn and how you can repair it using landscape supplies in Calgary.
We all have busy weekends. Is this an unnecessary addition to your lawn maintenance chores? Here are some reasons why spending the time level out your grass make sense:
- Levelling your lawn ensures equal water distribution over turfs and plants and prevents muddy patches on the garden soil.
- It is easier to maintain an even lawn. You get a better-quality cut since the mower doesn’t stop on lumps.
- Having a uniform lawn prevents water pooling in the low spots. This way, you contain bacteria and viruses that could otherwise nurture due to water stagnation.
- An uneven lawn is not child-friendly and unsafe for sporting activities. A yard full of bumps and depressions could make you lose your balance, resulting in slips, trips, and falls.
- A bumpy lawn is not comfortable to walk on, and it can strain your foot muscles, causing pain and injury.
If you’re going to spend the time fixing your lawn, it’s essential to understand the root cause of uneven grass. In general, soil erosion is the reason, and multiple factors could cause this, such as:
Broken water or irrigation pipes
A couple of low spots close to drainage pipes could indicate leakage. Make sure to get it checked by a professional.
Sprinklers require regular maintenance; if left unattended, they can damage water lines, resulting in soil erosion.
Ground settling takes place gradually. It usually occurs due to weather changes, so you can’t do much to avoid it.
Disease or insects
If you can spot patches of bare soil, it could be an outcome of soil-borne disease. In terms of insects, ant mounds are the primary cause behind a bumpy lawn, especially if the bumps become noticeably large.
Topdressing is the best way to deal with an uneven lawn. But you must do it when you notice mild unevenness. This will help prevent deeper depressions and bumps.
You may want to level your lawn with pure sand alone, but it doesn’t provide any nutritional or microbial value. Instead, use a topdressing mix containing topsoil, compost, and fine sand in a ratio of 2:1:2.
Follow these steps to fix your uneven lawn like a pro:
- Mow the lawn (without cutting the grass too profoundly).
- Using a thatch rake or thatching machine, dethatch the lawn if you find more than ½ inch of thatch. It is good to rent a thatching machine to go about this efficiently.
- Thoroughly mix a batch of levelling mix using a shovel in a tub or a wheelbarrow.
- Apply topdressing mix (not more than ½ inch) over the low areas.
- Rake the topdressing to spread it out evenly.
- Using a push broom, work the soil mixture back and forth until you see the grass blades are fully exposed.
- Water the area to even it out. Don’t overwater as it could wash the soil mix.
Once you’re done with these steps, monitor the area for progress. If you are searching for topdressing mix, just contact us at Ornamental Stone.