How to Use Landscape Boulders in Your Landscaping Design
Landscaping is a form of art. You can use a variety of materials to create your own serene outdoor space. Using boulders creates an attractive feature to any yard as it offers a natural and classic aesthetic. Landscape boulders soften your yard and complement the greenery. They also create an elegant décor for your front or backyard.
On the other hand, incorporating boulders and rocks in your landscape design may present some challenges. There are certain features and characteristics that you need to consider. Therefore, you need to discuss with your landscape supplier or contractor before you finalize your overall design.
In this article, we’ll help you plan your new landscape design using boulders and decorative rocks as well as their uses and what to consider before you decide.
How to Incorporate Boulders into You Landscape Design
Here are some of the best ways to add boulders in your landscape.
- Arrange boulders in different ways. To make your landscape look more interesting, set the boulders in various ways. Try different combinations including exposing the flat side while the rest of the stones stay upright. This layout creates a more textured appearance. Make sure you use the right tools to move the boulders to get the position you want.
- Group the boulders. A single boulder can look lonely and out of place. Therefore, consider putting them in threes. Another tip is to position two boulders near each other or even touching together.
- Use locally sourced rocks. Use boulders and rocks from your local landscape supplies in Calgary. Natural stone creates more dimension in your landscape design. Plus, there are a variety of products to choose from depending on your preference and aesthetic. The great thing about using local landscape boulders is that the colours and nature of the stone also represent your region. Thus, it adds more interest and meaning to your design.
- Use boulders to raise some materials. When you’re using pavers or concrete, you should consider adding boulders to create a border. Install the boulders first and then build a pave around it. This allows you to make necessary adjustments to the pavers.
- Apply gravel and concrete as your base. Before you install the boulders, apply gravel and concrete to hold the stones in position. This prevents the boulders from shifting. This technique is useful when you’re setting up a dramatic design or when you’re incorporating pavers.
- Use the shape of the boulders to create your design. The shape of the boulders helps set the pace for your design which is why it is important to lay it down in various arrangements. This allows you to visualize if the landscape rock should be upright or if it is better to lay it flat. One way to determine how to set up the boulders is to find a style that complements your garden. Try to experiment and see which looks best on your yard.
What to Consider When Choosing Landscape Boulders
How do you pick the right type of boulder for your landscaping project? Here are some factors you need to consider.
- Select the right design – Make sure the stone you pick is the right size and style for your layout and landscape. Maintain a uniform look with your stone and avoid picking a style that does not blend well with the existing rocks in your landscape. Otherwise, if you pick a style that doesn’t compliment your landscape, consider changing your design and work backward.
- Choose the right size – One of the problems homeowners often encounter is picking the wrong size of decorative rocks and boulders. Some end up buying stones that are too small or big for their space. Therefore, getting the advice of a landscaping professional is crucial to the success of your project.
- Pick local suppliers – No matter what kind of landscaping you are doing in your yard, it’s always practical to choose a local landscape supply in Calgary. Since the materials are heavy, it’s easier, cheaper, and more practical to get a supplier nearby. This reduces transportation costs. At the same time, you can easily select the materials personally instead of relying on photos. Ornamental Stone offers delivery on all landscape supplies including boulders!
- Determine the right shape – There are many ways to incorporate boulders into your landscaping project. Picking the right shape to match your design is a crucial step. Here are the different shapes of boulders to help you plan your design.
- Flat – This type of stone is easy to identify. It has a height of lower than 12 inches. However, the length and width may vary. Nonetheless, it should have a flat surface. A flat stone is usually applied at the edges of a water feature or used as a stepping stone.
- Tall vertical – The shape of this stone is taller than its width. It is ideal for waterfall structures.
- Low vertical – This stone is wider than its height. This huge rock is often used to complement tall vertical stones as it provides more depth and dimension.
- Arching – This type of stone has an odd shape and usually overhangs on the right or left side. It is also commonly known as a thrusting stone. An arching stone is used to provide more stability to certain points in a structure. One of the most common placements is at the corner of a bridge to create a more prominent arch.
- Reclining – This resembles the shape of a reclining animal and is also called an ox stone. This diagonally shaped rock is used to draw one’s attention to another element.
Ornamental Stone offers a variety of landscape boulder choices including Gold Quartz, Limestone Boulder, Obsidian, Pink Lichen, and Irregular Rundle Boulder among many others. More designs are available. Visit Ornamental Stone to see our products or visit us at 79 Prairie Place to see our full selection.
Designing your landscape is fun and exciting. When it comes to installing the hardscape products, feel free to reach out to the team at Ornamental Stone for advice. Our team of experts will help you transform your yard into a gorgeous outdoor living area and natural escape.